Monday 21 May 2012

*looks closely* What's that *points*

When my Grandmother was pregnant with my Dad, she had a fall, this resulted in some damage to his ribcage, so he has an indentation in his chest, which causes his ribcage to jut out at the bottom. Whenever I've gone swimming recently, they have long mirrors in the toilets near the pool for some reason and I've noticed that since I lost quite a bit off my belly, my ribcage seems to protrude out slightly, this is damned annoying and I know there isn't anything that can be done aside from having my ribcage broken and reset but I don't think that's something that I'd ever consider having done.

I guess it just means there's a bit of me that won't lay completely flat but its just something else that's a bit different about me. I would have preferred a third nipple but you can't have everything can you. I suppose, I was being a bit unrealistic to expect it to be an easy journey, without any kind of bumps in the road, so I can still rejoice in the healthier slimmer me and I still have a decent enough head of hair, when my middle brother is losing his, so that's something I didn't get from my Dad.

It seems even the most rational person can have body issues, over some slight imperfection they feel that they have, be it their large feet, lop sided ears, or my ribcage, I suppose this is down to this idea we should all be perfect, with perfect hair, jobs, marriages, families and bodies. I lay the blame for this mostly at the doorstep of our media, who seem to relish showing and picking apart images of some female celebrity who has either gained a bunch of weight, commenting with an eurgh yuck, look at her attitude or incredibly proud 'you should look like this after a baby' attitude towards the images of one who has lost their pregnancy weight, always within a seemingly impossible timeframe, which would suggest that they didn't have that much to lose in the first place.

So it seems I've joined the ranks of the people who seem to have some ridiculous issue with a body part, that isn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things, which I think means I need to give myself a damned good talking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment